Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Notes from today, 12/21

12/21:
Received a call at 9:53 a.m. from an Internal Medicine physician (whose name I did not write down). Notes about that call are on the blog.

Called Florida Hospital at ~2 p.m. to speak with Cathy. Was told by Jessica that Cathy was asleep. Asked Jessica if she could look in Cathy’s file and give me her case number so I could request the documents via this website (http://www.ninthcircuit.org/programs-services/court-reporters/transcript-request.asp?c=1). Jessica said she’d need to transfer me to the social worker. Tina answered the phone (as an aside, it was obvious Tina wasn’t exceptionally happy to speak with me--a fact which I have recorded). Tina said I’d need to contact the court processor (407 403 1504)to obtain transcripts of Cathy’s hearing. Called the court processor’s office and spoke to Val (?). Was asked if I was guardian. I responded that “April” had called to see if I was interested, so I wasn’t sure if I was or wasn’t yet. Val said that she’d have April call me since she was working. I had been, up until then, under the impression that April was another social worker at the hospital, but in fact it would seem that she is a court processor for the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Orange County, Florida. I’m awaiting April’s return phone call.

I also need to know where and when Cathy’s rape occurred (the original reason for my call at 2 p.m. to Cathy). I think it’s critical to note that there is absolutely nothing in the records Florida Hospital sent about the rape. I would like to know whether the State of Florida ever provided Cathy with any counseling or other treatment following the incident.

Called at 3:04 p.m. and Diana answered. Recorded call. Diana at first didn’t seem to know who I was talking about, but once she did she said Cathy was in “contact isolation” and wasn’t supposed to be using the phone. According to the Florida statutes:

(5)
COMMUNICATION, ABUSE REPORTING, AND VISITS.—
(a)
Each person receiving services in a facility providing mental health services under this part has the right to communicate freely and privately with persons outside the facility unless it is determined that such communication is likely to be harmful to the person or others. Each facility shall make available as soon as reasonably possible to persons receiving services a telephone that allows for free local calls and access to a long-distance service. A facility is not required to pay the costs of a patient’s long-distance calls. The telephone shall be readily accessible to the patient and shall be placed so that the patient may use it to communicate privately and confidentially. The facility may establish reasonable rules for the use of this telephone, provided that the rules do not interfere with a patient’s access to a telephone to report abuse pursuant to paragraph (e).

Fortunately, Diana managed to get Cathy on the phone; however, the phone Cathy uses is located in the hallway, meaning she has no privacy during her calls.

3:15 p.m.
Spoke with Cathy, recorded conversation. Unsure whether or not she knows what she’s talking about, but supposedly they’ve “all but released” Cathy and have told her that all they’re waiting on is “[me] to be there.” Cathy feels that the hospital is angry enough with me at this point, all they want they do is to get Cathy out of Florida Hospital. “They just don’t want [me] to cause them anymore trouble.” “Everybody has said this” to Cathy. I’m unsure what to believe and what not to believe. I have evidence that the hospital staff (and perhaps the court) have been negligent as far as Cathy’s rights go, and I have personally been lied to/misled during this entire time by those in positions of knowledge and/or authority, but I’ve also been misled by Cathy, so I have no idea who or what to believe after this most recent conversation.

3:45 p.m. received call from attorney Steve Talmage. His advice, write a letter of complaint to the admin of health care association. But this will only serve to get Florida Hospital in trouble with the legal system, wouldn’t do any good to get her out of the hospital. Need to have guardian advocate switch guardianship or sign to give me POA for Cathy.

4:12 p.m. Spoke with Cara (social worker)
Cara has to have consent from guardian advocate for permission to send information out of the hospital. Under Cathy’s current status, “incompetent to consent.” Has to consent for Cathy until she’s discharged. Cara isn’t “familiar to what’s happened prior to [her] getting involved.” Dr. Allen and Carol are trying to get situation with guardian advocate situation resolved. April works for Florida Hospital but is a court processor.

Arianna Johnson is a volunteer with Mental Health Association of Central Florida. Need to speak with someone about volunteer guardian advocates. 407.898.0110. Cara has left a message with Arianna letting her know to call me as soon as possible.

Cara says two Hospices have been speaking to each other. Hospice doesn’t follow same protocol as hospital, so they had permission from Cathy to talk to each other. Ellen was supposed to call me today, according to Cara.

Told Cara about Cathy’s rape and expressed my concerns about Cathy’s treatment, diagnosis, and experience at the hospital.

Received an email from Steve Talmage stating he was working on getting contact info for Adrianna and to give him an hour.

4:50 p.m. Calling SECU Hospice (Christy called earlier while I was on the phone with Cara and I couldn’t answer). Don’t have any ability to record the call right now, though, so I will just have to take notes. Won’t be taking notes, either--Christy didn’t answer, so I left another message.

Received the following email from Steve Talmage a few moments ago:

I talked to the appropriate person in charge of GAs in Orlando. You
should be hearing from Arianna this evening or tommorrow. As I mentioned, I
am going out of town in the morning, and I can't send emails right away and
I can't file papers with the court, but I can sorta READ emails.

Carmen, I hope in the short run this helps. In the long run, if you want
to pursue a complaint with AHCA about Florida Hospital or appeal on the
basis of a violation of the statute, let me know.

Merry Christmas all, even with the "going ons."

No comments:

Post a Comment